Thursday, July 16, 2009

No one is higher than the Pope ...

Even after 5 days, I am still in disbelief that Lucas is no longer with us. Compared to many, he is probably the least likely one to go home this way ... He was such an active, on-the-move , jolly kind of person.

I had the privilege to work under Lucas in the MSX team (part of MAD team) for 3 years and I have learned many lessons from this man. Some spoken, some observed ...

Some random sampling ...

1. One of the first lessons I learnt ... "No one is higher than the Pope ... - NO " when I asked him if I could get a mailbox size increase as my mailbox was constantly getting full after joining the team. He said how can we enforce a policy when we ourselves break it ?
2. He constantly reminded me the importance of service excellence ... his standard is always higher than what is expected
3. He thought me to learn to delegate and to entrust others with responsibilities
4. He has showed me that there are times to be tough and times to be flexible.
5. Sometimes ... it is the small things that counts and he often takes time to go into the details with me to ensure we got everything covered.
6. A model family man. Goes golfing with wife on weekends, spending time at home with the kids and frequently taking family on holiday/road trips.
7. And being able to still crack jokes during a GERT to keep the team going under stress ... That is amazingly helpful when everyone is sweating away.


I feel privileged to be able to help collate all these fond memories of Lucas. It has helped me to put life into perspective and to realize what matters most in life.

To Angelique,Natasha,Yorrick and Tomas, be strong as his legacy will live on within you ...

Lucas, God bless and see you in heaven one day ...

Fei Yau