Sunday, July 19, 2009

Emptiness

Although Lucas was in Malaysia such a long time, I never had the opportunity to work with him until recently. But we regularly bumped into each other. What I recall was his cheerfulness. Lucas joint our team this 1st July. We started to have more contact in the weeks before July and just started the handover. He worked himself very well into his new role, based on his in-depth knowledge of Workspace and he seemed to have an immediate impact on some of the issues he was working. We still had lunch with him on the Friday before he passed away in one of the Indian restaurants in the Street-mall where he had not been before yet. “I need to come here a few more times before I return to Holland”, he said after enjoying the food. The team was so much looking forward to working with Lucas, he was considered a great asset to the team based on his reputation.

When I heard the news on Sunday morning and I had to inform some of my team mates, there was a general feeling of sadness, disbelief, and emptiness. On Monday we all looked in a different way at our e-mails and workload. Rethinking priorities in life. It is a personal decision everybody has to make for themselves. Lucas had a busy life, lots of work but still seemed to have a good balance spending time with his family. Not sure if everyone has that, starting with myself. Don’t postpone as it can be over before you know it.

I wish Lucas’ family will find the strength to continue with life and reflect the good qualities and personality that Lucas was. He will be always remembered.

Paul van Dam, team member CSM EUC.